When we pray specifically and expect to hear from the Father, we are praying purposeful prayers. The word purpose can be looked at two different ways. There is purpose that is meaning, the reason of existence, and there is purpose that is intent, the reason of action. Purposeful prayer should have both meaning and intent. When we pray, we should know what we are praying for and with the intention to receive an answer.
Hebrews 11:6 puts it this way, “But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.” You do not diligently do anything by accident; if you do something diligent, it is withpurpose. You do not do anything in faith just out of curiosity, it is always with purpose. Therefore, if we come to Him for an exact cause with the realization we are, in fact, speaking with the Creator of all the universe in person, and that is why we called out to Him, our prayers will always be purposeful.
“And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive” (Matthew 21:22). So, as we pray, let us not undermine the very nature of prayer by lacking purpose. When we ask, it should be intentional, and when we say we believe, we must be sincere. After all, we do not want to insult the Lord by half–heartedly requesting something we don’t really expect to get in the first place.
When you pray, let your requests be made known unto God. Prayer is to be continual, never ending. The best way to add more purpose, more intent, and more meaning to your prayers is to start praying, and pray the best you know how to, right now, and keep on praying. God rewards those who diligently seek Him. He intends for prayer to be for your good and the good of the Church.
- Pray for certainty of mind and clarity of requests over your future prayer times.
- Pray for a strong grasp of how God views the prayers of His people.
- Pray for the anointing of prayer, that it may be passionate and full of faith.
- Pray for all doubt and other hinderances to your prayers to be removed.
- Pray for God to provide you with partners in prayer.
- Pray that all your prayers will be prayed with the intent to hear from God.
- Pray that God’s will above all others will be done in all things.
- Pray for strength and resolve to pray through.
- Pray for the Word to be opened to you for instruction and growth in prayer.
- Pray that your prayers would never be just rehearsed lines that mean little to you.
- Pray for a heart that is thoughtful to intercede for others.
- Pray for your prayer life to be victorious in tearing down strongholds of the enemy in your life and those you are praying for.
- Pray because God receives glory from it.
- Pray because it’s the best way for the Church to partner with God, and see the Great Commission fulfilled His way, and not ours.
Contributor: Jonathan Lovvorn, Cleveland, TN
Download This Prayer Guide
Download this prayer guide as a bulletin insert here. Let us know you are praying with us by using #COGOPprays on social media to share your requests, inspirations, and praise reports.