The words of Paul in this entire passage are so descriptive regarding the heart of a pastor. He is out pioneering churches, sharing the gospel with those who have never heard the good news, taking up offerings for the poor, and explaining to the church why he has not visited them as quickly as they had hoped he would.
Those who are truly called to pastor never stop serving, giving, and searching out the needs around them. They fight persecution from those who are unsaved, and even from those whom they have served. Ephesians 6:18-20 calls us to pray at all times, to stay alert, and petition the Father on behalf of all the saints, and then there is a call for prayer by Paul himself for himself. This was a prayer that he would have boldness as he proclaims the gospel. It is an obvious request to make supplication for those who declare truth around the world.
Here are some ways you can cover your local pastor in prayer:
- Pray for wisdom (James 1:5)
- Pray for strength and courage (1Chronicles 28:20)
- Pray for confidence and perseverance (Hebrews 10:35)
- Pray for patience in difficult times (Romans 12:12)
- Pray for their hope to remain (Psalm 42:11)
- Pray for his study time to be productive (2 Timothy 2:15)
- Pray for evidence of God’s presence in his ministry (2 Corinthians 2:9)
- Pray for faithfulness to complete his work (Matthew 25:21)
- Pray for him to have the mind of Christ in all things (1 Corinthians 2:16)
- Pray for anointing (Luke 4:18a)
Additional Prayer Resources
- Praying for Your Pastor Challenge – https://www.reviveourhearts.com
- How To Pray for Your Pastor Or Your Spiritual Leader – http://myfaithfamily.com
- The Six Best Things You Can Do For Your Pastor – http://strategicrenewal.com
- Praying with Smith Wigglesworth: Faith-Filled, Scriptural Prayers for Fervent Prayer Warriors, Smith Wigglesworth (Charisma Media, ISBN 9780884194446)
- Praying for Your Pastor: How Your Prayer Support Is Their Life Support, Eddie Byun (InterVarsity Press, ISBN-13: 978-0830844661)
- The Ministry of Intercession, Andrew Murray (ISBN-13: 978-1622453399)
Contributor: Sharon Farrugia—Knoxville, Tennessee
To download the Prayer Guide/Bulletin Insert, click here.