“When my heart is overwhelmed…lead me to the rock that is higher than I” (Psalm 61:1, 2).
David, the writer of Psalm 61, is exiled from Jerusalem, the place where he worshipped. He is overcome with a myriad of emotions and uncertainty. Banished, alone, whether by the hand of Saul or his own son Absalom is uncertain. His state, his peace is disturbed. Making sense of it all is seemingly futile. He must somehow overcome this unjustified assault.
David remembers his God, recalling his journey in the wilderness, when it was only God and himself. He recites the Word of God to himself.
The tool the enemy uses to overwhelm can come via any source. However, his objective is to divert one’s attention from worshipping God and to invoke anxiety. He hopes to isolate us from our familiar place of worship.
Life sometimes strikes a hard blow. Some things you cannot control. What do you do? You utter a prayer of overcoming and trust God to deliver. A prayer of overcoming can free you from that state of devastation!
- Lord, grant us the ability to override all mental attacks that come to derail our faith (Philippians 4:8; 2 Corinthians 10:4, 5).
- Teach us to overcome depression and anxiety as we wait on you (Deuteronomy 31:8; Psalm 42:11; Isaiah 41:10).
- Grant us a settled peace that comes with the knowledge of your promise to never leave us alone (Hebrews 13:5).
- Give us the confidence that as we pursue your will, you will take care of us (Luke 10:19).
- Produce unity within the family so that conflicts may be resolved (Colossians 3:13; Ephesians 4:32).
- Instill in us joy in serving you and your church (Nehemiah 8:10; Hebrews 6:10).
Additional Prayer Resources
- Guide to Spiritual Warfare by E.M. Bounds
- Blessing or Curse by Derek Prince
- The Three Battle Grounds by Francis Frangipane
Work Cited: Matthew Henry Commentary
Contributor: Pastor Janice Roseboro, NC
Download This Prayer Guide
Download this prayer guide as a bulletin insert here. Let us know you are praying with us by using #COGOPprays on social media to share your requests, inspirations, and praise reports.